Friday, August 20, 2010

Shopping woes

Our normal friday ritual is shopping day. Grocery shopping. Not fun clothes or toy shopping. Nope, instead we do our weekly grueling run up and down the aisles. Because our time is limited between naps and dinner, usually Scott and I go to Costco with the girls and then he hits the local grocery store after they are in bed. But A has been requesting to go to the normal grocery store because they have the shopping carts with "cars"...

The pushing handle is attached to the plastic car that has the two steering wheels for two children in it. The shopping basket is much smaller but the whole thing rattles and makes a lot of noise. So if I decide to separate from the girls and Scott I just have to pause and listen and I can pinpoint their location in the store with unquestionable accuracy. And did I mention the turning radius??? It turns on a dime. (I have never used that saying and probably used it wrong but it can get out of tight situations and not take down the displays). I am the paranoid mother and wipe the whole car down with the disinfectant wipes the store supplies and try not to look at how much dirt it manages to lift.


The past couple of Fridays the girls and I have been hitting Costco in the morning so they can partake in the car cart. Today I ventured to the "other side" of town. Granted it's only a ten minute commute by freeway (barring traffic and construction) but it really is the other side. I will never ever go to THAT Costco again.


Granted the layout was in reverse. It took me only a few minutes to adjust. But then the annoying little things. The sandwich meat wasn't in the flat bins. Instead it was up on a wall display. Next to the veggies. Which might seem so little but right before naptime...each second is an ETERNITY!!


Did I mention the people? This side of town is close to the retirement communities. I have nothing against old people mind you....but when they are strolling. With no cart. Just their purse and the latest sample of food they obtained. Looking put out because I drive my cart like I drive my car. Offensive and defensive all in one.


All in all, we survived. I even took a nap as it was that exhausting....and the girls got to go in their car cart. A's only complaint is that it wasn't the red one but she settled for the green!



No comments:

Post a Comment