*ahem*
Last week Aubrey had her voiding cystourethrogram (VCUG) study for her vesiculoureteral reflux. I debated on whether to tell Aubrey beforehand or not...and with perfect timing my Parents magazine came in. There was an extensive article on telling toddlers about having surgery and how to make it less stressful. The underlying tone was to tell them beforehand, don't just drop it on them because then you lose their trust. The authors also stated not downplaying or hyping anything up, rather just be matter of fact.
As if that's easy. So using Aubrey's doll and a makeshift catheter I acted out what was going to happen the morning of her appointment. Then we took her doll along to the appointment. The actual catheterization wasn't too bad-it was quick (I wish I could say painless). I asked for a topical anesthetic prior and they didn't have it. I use it in my patients...is it so much to ask for???
The crying I anticipated. What I didn't anticipate was that the unit taking her pictures would be so large and jerk and bounce to new positions which was terrifying to her. It was easier to reassure her knowing it wouldn't hurt. She wasn't too frightened to overhear the discussion regarding stickers for rewards and wailed "NOOOO stickers...WANT UP!!" She also overheard the discussion regarding lollipops and did wail "WANT LOLLIPOP!!" She scored one of each and managed a small high five for the tech after all was done.
Zoe also had her first screening ultrasound and while painless, she still hollered. Because she had to lay on her stomach and she was being restrained from rolling over. Oh the horror.
Flash forward to this week. I thought it was odd that Aubrey was sleeping in Thursday morning. I even opened her door which normally awakens her right up but she slept through that. When I went in to get her up for breakfast...I realized as soon as I touched her. She was burning hot. She was acting normal however and ate a great breakfast. A touch of Motrin, which she stated "tastes like apples" and off to the babysitter's house.
Lots of schedule wrangling (thanks to T for trading our schedules around!) and coordinating pick up times, vehicle trading and child rearranging I was able to get a doctor appointment in the afternoon. I may have a future in being a personal assistant...which I didn't realize would start this young (I thought it started with the soccer playing?)
With no other symptoms (coughing, sneezing, etc.) and the high fever, it was likely Aubrey had a urinary tract infection (UTI). The doc was reluctant to recatheterize her and while potty training is happening she just doesn't go on command. I was holding her while we were waiting for a free catch (ask me how they do that....) and rocking her in my arms. The whole attempt was unsuccessful but I had to leave before the doc elected to catheterize her. I felt awful walking away to a crying baby and sleepy hot toddler and concerned daddy. The nerves in my arm where her head had been rested kept the memory of the heat for the entire drive back to work.
Preliminary results don't look typical for a UTI but I'm waiting anxiously until everything is in. We had the follow up with the urologist today....she has outgrown one side and he is also awaiting the urinalysis results. If not too abnormal, then he will let her go for another year in the hopes she will outgrow the disease on the other side too therefore avoiding surgery. Zoe got worse news however, she gets to have a VCUG just to be thorough. Catheters all around please (although on the flight to Montana....I was praying for one until we reached cruising altitude).
Best news....her fever broke tonight.

No comments:
Post a Comment