Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Lollipop, lollipop OH lolli-lolli-POP!

Today was a busy one for Miss Zoe. She woke up bright and chipper (and EARLY) as usual, ate and then laid in our bed singing her tune and chattering away....I was dozing but awoke because I heard a different noise.

She figured out how to blow raspberries. I didn't teach her or show her. I don't know if this is what Scott is doing all day with the girls while I am at work but she can do it like a real pro. She continued to do them for 10 minutes or so...smiling away in between but it was hard work puckering those lips. And blowing spit.

Then off to the doctor's office. Who is a sweet man and I feel so bad because Aubrey is terrified of him. His concept of personal space is nil so it takes some getting used to especially when my concept of personal space is 100 feet or so but he got down on Aubrey's level, said hello, and she promptly burst into tears.

They did make amends later in his office....he gave her a lollipop and backed up. She inched forward slowly watching him closely and stretched as far as her limbs would let her and snatched the lollipop off the desk. Gave a grudging "thank you" that was whispered and had to be prompted.

One of the reasons I love him: he is one of the top 500 doctors in the Valley for 2008/09. No big suprise...you go to his office and they have separate well/sick child doors and the lobbies have a glass/wall separation. Then once in the bowels...they use separate rooms for sick/well children. What a novel idea. (Sarcasm intended here-will be for another post another time). No intermixing.

You meet with the nurse who(m?) get the vitals. The doctor comes in and does his exam, asks a few pertinent questions then leaves to let the poor nurse do the dirty deed. Today was immunizations for sweet Zoe who screamed, turned red and held her breath...for eternity and then let out the ear splitting shriek.

Then, as usual, after all is done, he has you come to his office and he anwers any questions you may have, gives doctorly advice before you leave. Even if he's in a hurry...and you don't get that impression that he is. He makes you feel like you are the only concern he has for the day. We drive 30-35 minutes to get there. I kinda like the people watching too because the office is in Scottsdale. Fill in the blanks there and if you don't know what Scottsdale is all about, email me. :) Gotta keep the blog copacetic for all.

Zoe stats: 25 & 1/2" long (90th percentile), 13# 6 oz (50th percentile). She is taller and heavier than Aubrey was at this age!

We also got the orders for Zoe's ultrasound of her kidneys. Aubrey has vesiculoureteral reflux-in short-her tubes (ureters) hooking her kidneys to her bladder are too short. Depending on the severity-some kids grow out of it and others require surgery. We have had to keep Aubrey on prophylactic antibiotics for a year now and will go in soon for another test...requiring urinary catheterization and dye injected into her bladder. Will be wishing for valium or other sedative.....for me! that day. My gut feeling/wishing is that she has outgrown the condition.

Anyhoo....there is a 30% chance Zoe will have it too. But we get to start with a nice noninvasive ultrasound first. Will be trying to time both girls for the same day so will have updates in August. Remind me sometime to blog about when we first found out about the condition and how Aubrey's previous pediatrician's office handled the news and started the cascade of us finding the wonderful guy we go to now. (Thus some of the previous sarcasm...) I promise my coworkers I will not be at work when I find out news like I did last time because I turned into a bluthering idiot. Although I suppose how does that differ from any other day???

Can't end the blog on that note so without further ado...


1 comment:

  1. MAN!! I didn't get to teach Zoe rasberries like I did with Aubrey?? Man that kinda sucks. LOL Auntie is requesting some more videos. Please. :)

    ReplyDelete