Taking a departure from our happily scheduled programming to be a little controversial because all the mommy blogs started it! Scott told me a couple days ago that Dr. Andrew Wakefield, the guy that did the study that linked autism to MMR vaccines, was losing his license because he used unethical methods...meaning his study was tainted.
Thank goodness. Being a scientist, I rely (no, exist) on evidence based medicine. By that I mean research was performed with a control and study group. (And for those uninformed out there, I don't mean CAUSE autism, I mean study already present autism cases). Then the study needs to be repeatable. The one thing I don't like about evidence based medicine is that I don't think the study needs to be repeated 10 times, rather, two more times with the same findings should be sufficient.
When I started researching the whole autism/vaccine debate I was in agony. Like most parents, we want to do what is best for our children. I don't want to cause them harm. I realize I can't protect them from everything...but I don't want to intentionally inflict damage. Except maybe for the emotional type-like showing boyfriends their naked baby pictures but that's another story.
In my field I have my own opinions about vaccines/immunizations. That have been researched on both sides of the equation and based on personal experience. My first pediatrician's office made me feel like a leper for asking questions. I wasn't saying I didn't want to do the MMR vaccine, I just wanted education from educated individuals. Since that seemed to be lacking in their office, I found a new pediatrician whose office is a light years away, physically and mentally.
I asked that A's MMR immunization not be given with a jillion other immunizations. My thought was, why invite risk? The one thing I don't enjoy is the multiple injections with 20 or so protectants. I'm not going to belabor what I decided or what I actually think about autism except to say that the doctors are better at diagnosing it and all it's spectrums. That there is a cause out there and it's getting worse. I plan on asking for the same schedule for Z.
I believe the mothers of autistic children have a responsibility to educate themselves on facts then let their emotions fuel their desire to question and demand for better care.
Check out this movie if you have HBO, it's about autism and one of my professors who is autistic and amazing. Temple Grandin.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment