Aubrey has been showing so much affection for her baby sister. Everytime Zoe is crying to sleep, Aubrey states "Baby crying."
We acknowledge her and I can guarantee her while it appears a nonchalant "yes she is" it is not. Listening on the monitor or even when I turn it down and can hear the live action it is stressful. Heart wrenching stomach acid producing stress.
Aubrey usually replies, "Go get her."
We usually answer, "No, baby has to sleep."
The other night, Zoe was on her playmat and rolled over onto her stomach. Then got mad she couldn't figure out how to get back. She may have been jammed up against one of the supports or it may have been her darn arm, that silly appendage that just won't go the way she wants it to. (Remember the thumb sucking?)
Scott came around the corner to see Aubrey crawl under the arches and lay on her stomach next to Zoe...who looked at her and smiled and ceased the drama. I keep wondering how Aubrey's empathy will hold when Zoe goes for a beloved favorite toy......
We may have to resort to the same trick that the mommies were using at the three year birthday party. I have been reading that young toddlers/children don't have a grasp of time so we shouldn't be saying 'just a minute' and then proceed to finish texting, washing the dishes and ironing the clothes. It's the world's LONGEST minute in the child's mind. When Aubrey requests help or something and we can't get right over there we tell her "after I finish (fill in the blank)" and like the little hawk she is, she waits and watches us to finish and then promptly repeats the request.
The mommies at the birthday party would tell the children they would have to share a toy...so one child could play with it until the TIMER GOD told them it was the next turn. I think they were setting it for 3-5 minutes. The funny thing is that it appeared as if the kids had forgotten the prearranged agreement and would play cooperatively but as soon as that timer DINGED it was all about MY TURN!!! I know I'm going to have to do it with our girls....hope it works!

ohhh what a sweet older sister. Wish I had one of those. ;) ;)
ReplyDeleteSure..push my buttons, esp. with your bday coming up!!!
ReplyDelete